Off with the ‘self’ people think they see and into the you!
What are some healthy ways that have worked to find the YOU that fits?
We have friends in the LGBTQ community that struggle to find their true self; a self that deserves to be loved. Many times the thought of being gay is seen as ‘wrong’ so ‘poor actions’ can be attached to it. Here are some healthy thoughts about coming out!
* Know that you know yourself best! If you are not attracted to the opposite sex then wait until you met the person that does put a tingle in your toes.
* Decide how you want to tell people; start with trusted family or friends.
* Respect yourself by giving yourself time to sort your thoughts and talk to someone. You don’t have to know all the answers.
* If you tell someone and the response is not going well; step back and give them room to think. You are not responsible for taking on their issues but you told them because on some level they were important to you. Giving them time to process may allow you time to reevaluate and modify the conversation. Hurting them is not the goal. Hurting you is not the goal. Starting a line of communication is.
* Talk to someone before having the really hard conversations! Walk through possible terms and statement that might be better for you.
Your path will look different from others and that is ok! Try to stay focused on the goal of connecting with people who you want as a part of your future; close, distant, periodically, or as a memory.
Stepping “OUT” as you ~
Melinda Porter 817.733.7206